Outer Banks Attractions
Return to Previous Page
| The Currituck Beach Lighthouse|
Built in 1875, The Currituck Beach Lighthouse filled the remaining “dark spot” on the North Carolina coast between the Cape Henry, Virginia and Bodie Island to the south. Its brick exterior was left unpainted to help distinguish the Currituck Beach Lighthouse from other regional lighthouses. The lighthouse was automated in 1939 when the U.S. Coast Guard assumed the duties of the Bureau of Lighthouses. 158 feet tall, the beacon still flashes at 20-second intervals and can be seen as far as 25 miles offshore. Located in Corolla, the Currituck Beach Light has been lovingly restored, maintained and operated by the Outer Banks Conservationists.