Home to hundreds of thousands of visitors a year, Kitty Hawk is a popular town on the Outer Banks. Full of history, folklore, and more, learn about one of the most northern most towns on the Outer Banks with these 5 Fast Facts.
KITTY HAWK GOT ITS NAME FROM NATIVES
Before European explorers discovered the Outer Banks and its’ surrounding areas, it’s estimated that Native Americans occupied the area of Kitty Hawk for many years before. Algonquin speaking tribes called this area home. The natives gave the town the name of Chickenhauk originally. Chickenhauk eventually evolved into the modern day name of Kitty Hawk.
TOURISM DIDN’T REALLY START UP UNTIL THE 1930S
The Wright Memorial Bridge gives a sense of excitement to visitors. It’s a sign of the start of an Outer Banks vacation! However, without the construction of the bridge in the 1930s, tourism on the OBX wouldn’t be what it is today. The original bridge was built of wood and connected the northern beaches with the mainland of Currituck. One more bridge was constructed in 1966 and could withstand winds of up to 55 miles an hour. The current and final bridge was opened in 1995.
THE KITTY HAWK WEATHER STATION BROADCASTED THE FIRST FLIGHT
In the 1900s, the Wright Brothers came to the Outer Banks to test and build the first man powered flying machine. On December 17th, 1903, the first successful flight was accomplished by the brothers. The telegraph that would change the world was sent from the Kitty Hawk Weather Station.
KITTY HAWK OWNS 462 ACRES OF WOODS RESERVE
Kitty Hawk Woods Coastal Reserve features over 1,822 acres of dense woods, wild life, and more. The Town of Kitty Hawk and the North Carolina Coastal Reserve partnered to reserve this section of Kitty Hawk Woods to protect the wildlife and environment. Thanks to these efforts, visitors and locals alike can visit the woods and view different wild life, blooming flowers, and more!
KITTY HAWK IS HOME TO THE BLACK PELICAN, A LIFESAVING STATION TURNED RESTAURANT
The Kitty Hawk Lifesaving Station #6 was one of 7 station located on the NC Coast. Constructed in 1874, the crew of the Kitty Hawk Lifesaving station #6 relied on the help of a friendly black pelican who would warn them of bad weather and distressed vessels. In 1993, station #6 began new life as the popular restaurant, The Black Pelican, which is an OBX staple.