Summer on the OBX is a magical time of year, but fall on the island can be just as sweet. The new season brings with it some of our favorite Outer Banks events, festivals and sights. If you’re still not convinced, check out our top 10 reasons to visit the OBX this fall…
1. WIDE OPEN SPACES – Have the beach, roads, shops, and restaurants all to yourself this fall! Fall is perfect time to explore those dining spots you haven’t tried yet and enjoy a less crowded version of the Outer Banks.
2. GREAT WEATHER – Don’t pack up those flip-flops and bathing suits just yet. Late September and early October’s water and outdoor temps are still in the 70s. Cool breezes and comfortable weather are waiting for you to enjoy.
3. SEAFOOD FESTIVAL – Our local chef’s get a chance to show off their culinary talents and your taste buds get to try out all the delicious coastal cuisine. It’s a win-win all around! The 2015 Outer Banks Seafood Festival will be held on October 17th from 10:30 am to 6:00 pm.
4. MUSIC FESTIVALS – Enjoy the beautiful scenery, cool weather and good tunes at the popular buegrass and jazz festivals this fall. The Outer Banks Bluegrass Festival is a 4-day event taking place September 23-26, 2015 at Festival Park in Manteo. The venue is one of a kind, with bands performing on the soundfront stage starting in the afternoon and playing throughout the night. The 9th Annual Duck Jazz Festival showcases national, regional and local jazz musicians that will have all ages up and dancing. Bring your blankets and chairs and enjoy the talented entertainment.
5. FISHING – Some believe that fall is the best time to schedule an OBX fishing trip. Sea mullet, trout, red drum and bluefish are plentiful this time of year. And if you’re brave enough to head offshore, the billfish action can be exhilirating. Whether it is inshore, offshore, surf, or pier fishing, with a little patience, you’re sure to reel one (or several!) in.
6. VACATION SAVINGS – Enjoy a luxury Outer Banks vacation home with all the amenities you could imagine at an incredible price. During the fall, rental homes are typically 50% to 70% off their peak summer rate. These off season budget-friendly prices make this a great time to getaway and relax before the holiday hustle and bustle.
7. WATER SPORT COMPETITIONS – The end of September on the Outer Banks is like Christmas for water sports enthusiast. The conditions are just right and the waves are bigger than ever. The Eastern Surfing Championship brings in the world’s best amateur surfers September 20-26th at Jennette’s Pier. Hatteras Island also plays host to two kite surfing competitions during this week. Bring a beach chair and watch the competition unfold.
8. HALLOWEEN EVENTS – The Outer Banks is full of mysteries, legends and ghost stories. If you like a good scare, there are several Halloween events and ghost tours throughout October along with costume parties and harvest festivals.
9. BREATHTAKING SUNRISES AND SUNSETS – It is hard to beat the sunsets in the fall with vibrant hues of orange, red, yellow and pink that fill the sky. The dry clean fall air allows more colors to make it through our eyes without getting scattered by particles in the air. This makes for a gorgeous backdrop over the ocean and sound.
10. OUTER BANKS MARATHON – Sign up as a runner or come out and cheer the participants on to the finish line at the TowneBank Outer Banks Marathon and Southern Fried Half Marathon. The track covers some of the most beautiful landscape on the Outer Banks starting in Kitty Hawk and finishing up in the historic and charming town of Manteo. The 2015 OBX Marathon takes place November 6th- 8th.